Wednesday, November 30, 2011

See the Nature of Health Care

LZ Granderson, a columnist for CNN and ESPN, raises an intriguing question about health care for the average American: 
"After trying nearly every brand of over-the-counter eyedrops available, I finally decided to see a doctor. A handful of tests later, the doctor told me he had no idea why my eyes were red. But that didn't stop him from giving me a prescription....After it ran out and I still had red eyes, I went to visit another doctor. He also ran a couple of tests. He also had no idea why my eyes were red. He also gave me a prescription. Hundreds of dollars spent, and yet I still have no answers or clearer eyes. But I do have an appointment with a third doctor and an allergist. I'm not sharing this story to complain. I'm sharing because if you know the average American makes only $33,000 a year -- which, adjusted for inflation, has not changed since 1988 -- or if you know the price of COBRA for a family of four, then you also know why a lot of Americans don't even bother to get on this hamster wheel.
Read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment