A new bill (AB 684) recently passed will those prohibitions when the governor signs it into law. It institute the following:
- Prohibits ODs from having any profit-sharing arrangement with an optician or optical company.
- ODs, opticians and operating companies can own and operate a health plan so long as the plan’s ODs do not provide optometric services to enrollees.
- Provide for the direct or indirect provision of products and services to the health plan or its contracted providers or enrollees or to other optometrists, as specified.
- ODs, opticians, optical companies, and health plans could enter into a lease or other written agreement an optometrist “if specified conditions are contained in a written agreement.”
- Authorizes the State Board of Optometry, to inspect lease agreements.