Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Hospital Reports Rise in Acanthamoeba Keratitis

"Specialists at Moorfields Eye hospital have noticed a rise in eye infections among contact-lens wearers and are warning users to take extra care," according to a BBC post. "Last year, doctors at the hospital treated 60 new cases of a particularly nasty infection called acanthamoeba keratitis - around two to three times more cases than in recent years. Bacteria, fungi and micro-organisms can stick to contact lenses and cause pain, irritation and serious harm. One woman whose eye became infected from her contact lens has described being kept awake for a week while doctors tried to treat the problem. Jessica Greaney, 18, a student at Nottingham University, was told the probable cause of the infection was a drop of water which had splashed on to one of her lenses while she was washing them." Read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment